Growing up, I had a hard time finding a cool hairstyle that worked for me. Quite frankly, I was pretty ashamed of my uncool hairstyle going straight into college because it was never as sexy, cool, or attractive as my peers in school, much less the movie stars I saw on the big screen.
I think a lot of Asian guys can relate to the cost savings measure that many an Asian parent put us through, namely the much dreaded Chilli Bowl or Mushroom Haircut. It’s literally what it sounds like, you simply put a bowl over your head and cut around in one big circle.
Alas, this avant garde unattractive hairstyle afforded me nary a glance from the young women of my high school. Pscyhologically scarred? Perhaps. Coiffure clueless? You betcha.
As an Asian dating coach, one of the easy things I can have a client do to instantly get him better success with women- or at least his foot in the door- is to spice up him up with a cool hairstyle in order to show off his virility as a man and sexual partner.
Now, be aware that like fashion itself, cool hairstyles for Asian men do change year by year, but I want to at least give you the big picture of how to have attractive men’s hair. From there, you can find more specific types of cool hairstyles and flavors of the month. At a minimum, always be prepared to spend at least $40 on good hair and $10 on hair product (like Difi, Sculpte, or Fructis Garnier).
Here are my Top 5 Asian Hairstyle Tips That Attract Women:
- Faux Hawk (or it’s edgier cousin, the BLOOD HAWK): Yes, it’s the David Beckham haircut and yes a ton of guys are sporting it now, but for the average office worker who punches into his 9 to 5 job, it’s the perfect choice. It’s can be as low or as high maintenance as you want. At night, said salaryman pushes his hair up, applies hair product, and ready to rule the roost with a cool hairstyle. By day, he pushes it down and to the side and now you’ve got mild mannered Clark Kent! If you really want to go edgier, do a few streaks of red through your hair for the Blood Hawk. Yes, it’s edgier and it definitely gets more attention.
- The Justin Beiber (or the edgier Asian Pop Star / Emo Hair): It’s the over the eyes because I’m a mysterious- yet oh so hip- Pop idol hair. Very popular amongst the Jpop and Kpop denizens. This one is a lot more high maintenance because it requires a straightening iron and hair product, but I’ve known a ton of girls who go ga-ga over this cool hairstyle. I will say no more before I too am consumed with Yellow Beiber Fever.
- The Yellow Fabio (or the Rain Maker): Think Rain from Ninja Assassin. Long, beautiful locks on a man can drive women to distraction. Hell, look at all the cool hairstyles of rock stars of years ago who landed the punani. One of my coaches, Gareth Jones, has the kind of long blonde, rocker hair that has literally stopped girls in their tracks. This one is really high maintenance, but worth it if you can rock it.
- The Turtle (the Shaolin Bad Ass!): Hey, some of us are going to be born with a receding hairline or straight up baldness. That’s just Genetic Poker for you and you can’t do anything about it barring artificial solutions. Do what all the handsome African American leading men do. BICK IT. Shave it to the skin and rock that look. It’s go BIG or go HOME. Women love rubbing a baby smooth, sexy noggin. Note: Get a tan if you’re pasty and pale.
- The Fedora: Maybe you don’t want to call it quits on the last wispy vestiges of your uncool hairstyle. Or maybe you don’t have the aggressive, physical body to pull off the “I just got out of jail and I can benchpress 400 pounds” bald headed, inmate look. I totally dig it. Instead, go with the less lifestyle changing option. RAT PACK IT! Get yourself a Frank Sinatra inspired fedora. It says style, panache, and a little moxy going for the unconventional, yet classy, look of a fedora.
And there you have it gentlemen, 5 Hairstyles That’s Guaranteed to Catch a Girl’s Eye whether you’ve got long curls, short locks, or none at all!